Sunday, July 18, 2010

Jan Švankmajer

 

Recently my laptop broke down, which means I have to put work aside and pretty much do nothing till I get a new one. I decided to fill up these empty hours with the pleasure of watching films one after another. I am reminded of those years back then which I spent watching on an average of 1 film per day. Having ingested hundreds of films, only a few handfuls have managed to leave significant imprints in my mind. In my next few posts I shall share some of my favorite films, directors and so on...

Jan Švankmajer is one of my favorite directors of all time. He is a Czech surrealist artist, who works with a lot of stop-motion animation in his films. His absurd imageries never fails to amaze. Watching "Neco Z Alenky" (his gritty version of Alice In Wonderland) years back still had such a huge impact on the way I view cinema, that I have relentlessly announced to everyone and anyone that the best version of Alice In Wonderland has been made, and nothing else will ever come close.

Neco Z Alenky


An excerpt of one of his many excellent short films.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home